PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into D&D

Junganaut
08-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Hey, I just got back into D&D and a couple of my buddies and me were gonna play but we were wondering what class race is the best combo? For example; What class is best as a druid? Also, how many people are "Allowed" to play at once? - Jung

iamthebatman
08-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Depends on what you're looking for in a Druid. Druids have a lot of options in terms of abilities. Because they have Divine spells, a good healing race like the Aasimar or one of the Elf types will work well, Races of Destiny would work best most likely. All depends on what you want, there is no end-all-be-all, especially once you involve templates and things. As for how many people can play, depends on how many the DM can handle, though generally 4-5 a group works. If you have more, you can always have more than one party per campaign, that just gets tricky with logistics and such.

Keldoclock
10-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't try GMing for a group of larger than 6 players without a few years of experience, but in general 4 players is ideal, with 5 also still being totally fine.
You don't want to get into the whole "best" thing with this game, just pick what seems to be the coolest to you and trust in the GM to help you turn it into a viable character.

Dungeon Master
10-29-2011, 07:53 AM
I think what you'll find is that no real Class/Race is Optimal, Especially when you bring Spell-casters into the mix. For example, I defy you to find more then two races with Wisdom with a Starting ECL less then Four, making Druids and Clerics pretty much bite the bullet on that. More often then not, An odd or outlandish racial choice is Physical, And the Penalties associated are Mental. Specifically with druid, Assuming you don't want to lose any levels, You should really start with, basically, any base race at all. Human is always useful, Elf is a classic but actually offers nothing to druids. My personal favorite is the Halfling, as, often times, their Animal Companion is big enough to Ride.

As for number of players, pretty much every rule in the Book is based around having Four adventurers. EXP and Treasure amounts, Challenge Rating, How EXP is Divided, So many rules are based on having four people in the party. As far as maximum ALLOWED, there is no such rule. I know of a friend of mine who once ran a game with Seventeen players, Each running two to four characters, for a total of thirty two people. Staggering, to say the least, and probably a BAD idea. I usually play with Less then four, two or three, personally. But as was said before me, do what feels right to you. The one thing that puts D&D above any video game is the Freedom to express the Perfect role-playing world and experience we all want.