Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Hunger Games

Chillin' in mah igloo, somewhere in the Canadian wilderness.
    Just finished the book. It was good, but I didn't like the ending (though there are still two more books) and the part with the tribute wolves was stupid. Maybe this will be something they answer in the next books, but why did they make the wolves look like or actually be the tributes? They could have simply been mutations, but no, the author made them into tribute wolves. I see no point in this and simply silly.

Also, the love triangle is reminding me of Twilight, only the girl (in this case Katniss) isn't a complete .

Editor in Chief of Forum Inquirer Thunderclaw's Avatar
    Yeah, the "muttations" bit made me put down the book for a few days. I'm just happy they didn't include that detail into the movie.

The writing really isn't phenomenal.

And this is why the movie got things wrong. The mutts were in the movie, TC. The movie just didn't go into the whole genetic engineering side of things that is readily apparent in the books.

@13th: The wolf mutts looking like the tributes was certainly done for a reason. Once you've read the other books, you'll definitely see this is the case. Just remember that the Capitol is meant to be a really terrible, strange, mad science-y type place. The second book heavily details this in a way that should help. If you were hoping the books would just be about a post apocalyptic, no holds barred, survival at all costs world with little to no strange things, you probably skimmed over all of the weird things having to do with the Capitol. If a whole society's people are willing to change their skin color, get gold tattoos, genetically alter birds and wasps, wear gaudy pink wigs, and even watch a yearly gladiatorial bloodbath for 74 years, it stands to reason that they might do anything possible to make the Hunger Games more exciting by genetically altering/creating terrible beasts that will torture the tributes for their own amusement.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Requiem View Post
    And this is why the movie got things wrong. The mutts were in the movie, TC. The movie just didn't go into the whole genetic engineering side of things that is readily apparent in the books.

@13th: The wolf mutts looking like the tributes was certainly done for a reason. Once you've read the other books, you'll definitely see this is the case. Just remember that the Capitol is meant to be a really terrible, strange, mad science-y type place. The second book heavily details this in a way that should help. If you were hoping the books would just be about a post apocalyptic, no holds barred, survival at all costs world with little to no strange things, you probably skimmed over all of the weird things having to do with the Capitol. If a whole society's people are willing to change their skin color, get gold tattoos, genetically alter birds and wasps, wear gaudy pink wigs, and even watch a yearly gladiatorial bloodbath for 74 years, it stands to reason that they might do anything possible to make the Hunger Games more exciting by genetically altering/creating terrible beasts that will torture the tributes for their own amusement.
    Okay, I'm glad they address it in the other books (which I will soon be reading), because had they not, I would have been pissed. I realize she probably wouldn't do it without a reason, I mean, everything that might seem like a small detail, is done for a reason. Like the berries (yes, they served an initial purpose, but the author wouldn't have the characters hold on to them only to not use them), the three fingers, and yes, the mutts.
    Last edited by 13thforswarn; 04-08-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Just finished "Catching Fire", the second book in the trilogy. It was excellent. Unlike the first one, I really liked the ending. The last 5 words of the book really sets the tone well for the last book. You get that "Sh*t just got real" sensation. My only criticism is that

Spoiler Spoiler

Very good book overall.
    Last edited by 13thforswarn; 07-03-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Thread Information