Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strategery Grames - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Goldeathorus View Post
    Building in itself isn't really strategy, though. Sure, you have to work out turret placement, but if you just put a ring of the things just around the outskirts of your base that're only just outside of each other's range, it's pretty simple to keep your enemies at bay for long enough to assemble a small army in the back of your base to defend with. A game that has enough tactical effectiveness for it to last just as long as one in which you'd have to build an entire base first is what I'd say is a superior one.
    Granted, I think it just sort of takes away from arguably the more defensive aspects of a game, games like Total War manage to make the RTS element of defense work well without base building, but in Dawn of War II, I dunno. Haven't really decided one way or the other whether I like it the way it is.

I'm kind of offended that nobody has mentioned Total Annihilation. It was probably before your time, but you could hide empires under water with the expansion. Command and Conquer Generals (especially Zero Hour) is a must play, as well as the Starcraft and Warcraft titles. The Lego Battles series for the DS isn't bad either, especially given what they had to work with. Star Wars: Empire at War finishes my experience, after every Command and Conquer title before 3.
    Last edited by W1LG3R; 03-27-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldeathorus View Post
    I've never played that, myself. As I said in my earlier post, I've never really liked modern forms of combat in games. I was referring to Space Marine. Now you're probably thinking: "That doesn't have any strategy at all!" It does when both fans of WH40K and of Relic are all used to strategy games. Because of that, most of the players actually at least try to strategize and use tactics in game rather than fire senselessly at anyone they see that shows up with a red dot in the cross hair when they're targeted. That's why in this, you'll see that people using snipers and heavy weapons will actually sit behind cover, usually in high vantage points rather than how in CoD you'll just have anyone that uses any form of strategy like that accused of being a camper and a noob.
    Well, Gettysburg: Armored Warfare wasn't even out yet when I made that comment, but it is now!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200630/

Unfortunately, the cost is set at $10 (the original plan for the game was F2P, and when I heard that he changed his mind about that I was really hoping for it to come out today at $5). I'll be waiting for some reviews before making a decision on buying/selling, but the entire game is a really great concept: combining modern and future tech with Civil War tech, RTS where you can zoom around the map and take control of any character third-person-shooter style, sophisticated map editor with terraform, and all of this by an awesome indie-style one man team (gotta love indie developers). I really hope that this game gets good reviews, for this developer has put in several years worth of effort and has built something so unlike the market norm.

With 64 players, one video says: "It's sort of like Duke Nukem meets Stratego"

Edit: Looking at the guy's forums makes me happy. Yeah, it is the first day, so it should be expected, but he's VERY active around there, and he's being very friendly. I'm getting a really good vibe from it. Iz good community so far!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...few-questions&
    Last edited by Walrus Man; 03-27-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by W1LG3R View Post
    I'm kind of offended that nobody has mentioned Total Annihilation. It was probably before your time, but you could hide empires under water with the expansion.
    I did, though, in passing and while ranting on the expansion to Supreme Commander.

Sorry, missed the edits.

Sadly, SC:FA doesn't let you build entire bases underwater, with a total lack of any underwater resource-gen. It does, however, have stealth field generators that render an area invisible to radar, allowing you to sneak some engineers behind enemy lines and start up an entire stealth base. Which is how I just lost a game that I was otherwise pwning in. =(

Overall, though, I'd say the most aggravating change made from TA to SC is that you can't reclaim sunken ships for metal anymore. And I'm like, why? Shipwrecks were a huge source of metal, back in the day.
    Last edited by Kazimierz; 03-27-2012 at 10:25 PM.

I might go back to playing Knights of Honor. It's a medieval time period country management game in Europe. Pretty good game, made by Paradox.
    Last edited by whitetiger379; 03-27-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Thread Information